Gas Water Heater Repair & Replacement
Most often, water heaters more than 10 years old may need to be replaced. Buildups are developed by Water heaters on the bottom of the tank. This layer of residue makes them less effective over time. Your gas or electric bills will begin to increase as your tank starts working harder to heat your water. And finally this residue or buildup will become a sign that you may need to repair or replace your water heater.
At Ray Plumbing we provide both Gas and Electric Water Heater repair and installation services:
- Tankless water heaters
- Hybrid water heaters
- Conventional water heaters
Do You Need Water Heater Repair?
If you believe it’s not yet the time to replace your water heater, but it may need a touch up for a repair, our skilled licensed plumbers can provide an effective and efficient repair services in order to save you money and running you hot water in no time. Ray Plumbing services are satisfaction guaranteed, and our customer satisfaction is a core value to the success of our water heater repair services. Our certified plumbers have all the expertise to repair your water heater at a low cost and will not make you do a replacement if it’s really not urgent or needed. We will explain all the jobs that will be done before doing anything; you will be walked through different water heater repair options available for your specific issue and our expert plumbers will then take an action to repair and service the water heater.
If you notice following signs, you water heater may need to be repaired:
- Rust in your hot water
- Rumbling in the tank or pipes when the water heater is on
- Water gathering around the tank’s collection pan
- Hot water not in adequate supply
- Water taking a long time to heat
- Water heater tank making noise
Wise decision is not to let these signs lead to a major problem. Our skilled and certified plumbers at Ray Plumbing are well experienced and have the expertise to identify any potential problem with your water heater and fix it before any major problem can occur. Having regular water heater maintenance can definitely save you a lot of money in the long run.
Hot Water Heater Service
If your water heater has broken down without any previous signs, at Ray Plumbing we provide 24 HR Emergency Plumbing Service! Call us anytime, week days or weekends, day or night, our trucks are fully equipped all across Toronto and will be at your place in no time to repair or replace your water heater.
Water Heating Options
According to the department of energy, about 15-25 percent of our household energy use billing comes from heating water, and this may become a larger portion if you upgrade the energy efficiency of your home and its space heating and cooling systems without upgrading your water heating system, so when choosing water heater, efficiency is a key concern.
There are two types of heaters that you can choose from: Gas and Electric. Gas water heaters use natural gas to produce the energy needed to heat water, while electric heaters use electric resistance coils.
How a water heater works:
A water heater uses energy to increase the temperature of cold water coming in from the municipal water system or from your well. Most commonly, hot water is stored in a tank, but in the case of a tankless or on-demand water heater, the water is heated only as it is needed. A variety of water heaters is available.
Below table lists water heater types and the energy source available for each type.
Possible energy sources by water heater type:
|Water heater type||Electric||Gas*||Oil|
|Solar domestic hot water system||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* Gas refers to either natural gas or propane (Reference: Water Heater Guide by NRC)
There is a great worth reading article named Water Heater Guide by Natural Resources Canada which fully explains all about water heaters for Canadian households. The link to the article can be found below:
Here are some of the differences between Gas and Electric water heaters to help you make the right choice.
Pros of a Gas Heater:
- The gas heaters generally pay for themselves in energy savings after a year.
- Gas water heaters are able to heat more hot water per hour than electric, making them a good option for large families. A fifty-gallon tank can be heated in one hour, while it could take a few hours to heat an electric tank.
- Gas heaters will still work during a power outage.
Cons of a Gas Heater:
- Gas is less efficient than electricity.
- The cost of a gas heater is more than an electric heater.
- Because water is heated at all times, there is more heat loss through the walls of the storage tank.
- Without proper maintenance, you may risk an explosion from a gas leak.
- You must install extra piping for the gas exhaust.
The Pros of an Electric Water Heater:
- Many options are available that include larger and smaller tanks for both long term and immediate use.
- Electric heaters have been developed to only heat the water you need when you turn it on.
- Since water is not constantly being heated they are more efficient. This leads to energy savings.
- Since they do not need the addition of the release exhaust, Electric heaters need less space.
The Cons of an Electric Water Heater:
- If you have a large family, you may have to wait some hours for the water tank to heat up because Electric heaters have a low recovery rate.
- The cost of maintaining and using an electric water heater is much higher than gas because the cost of electricity has gone up. In other words, the energy you save in efficiency will often be lost in the cost of electricity.
Choosing a water heater can be difficult and ultimately, it comes down to the size of your family and the cost of electricity versus gas. These pricing differences can vary depending on where you live. For this reason, you should be sure to check the costs for your area. Gas and electric heaters often have similar installation prices and last the same number of years, so it can be difficult to make a decision. At the end of the day going through the homework to make sure you choose the right water heater will work toward saving you a lot of money in the long run.
If you are not sure which water heater works better for your household, contact Ray Plumbing today for free estimation and professional advice to install a water heater that is best for your household both efficiency and efficiently.
Get A Free Estimate
We are more than happy to give advice on which solution is most suitable for your needs, depending on your Plumbing Serviecs. Why not ask us to view your property and discuss the various options with you now. Our advice is free!